Skip to main content

Hellooo 2018 (Ready or Not)

As 2018 approaches I don't recall ever being quite as optimistic and looking forward to 365 fresh pages to write my story on, as I do right now. (Plus, 8 is my favorite number so that has to be some sort of sign🤔)

2017 was an equally tough as well as amazing year.

Here are a few of my favorite positive things last year brought:

A lot of the first part of the year was spent turning life around and straightening out the stubborn curves that seemed to get set in their ways. I feel more on the path that I'm meant to be on than ever before.

Great opportunities bloomed in my personal as well as professional relationships. Having an amazing, supportive boyfriend is such a blessing that I make sure not to take for granted every day. Knowing who my true friends are by who sticks around through the good and bad sides of life and who always go out of their way to put a smile on my face. As far as professionally, by joining volunteer groups I have greatly expanded my connections by networking and getting involved in the community.

Working at a job that I enjoy going to every day as well as constantly learning and having the opportunity to challenge myself. I love that I get to constantly expand and strengthen my knowledge and skills.

Moving into an apartment and taking responsibility for my life, my actions and paying any price if my decisions don't line up in the ways I want them to.

Holding myself to follow through with the goals I have set myself and eliminating excuses. When an excuse comes through I will at least acknowledge that is what is happening. Working out being one of the goals that I have been much better about having consistency and pushing myself with.

I often feel far from perfect and let the thought of the mistakes I've made get in the way of the progress I need to make, but there is something very refreshing about the start of a new year and a chance to get things right this time around. The same way it feels waking up each and every morning with a new, fresh chance to try again and try harder. Using the notion that it is better to start now rather than never and a little progress is better than none, to drive myself further and further.

I used to view goals more as accomplishing them so I can then hopefully relax and feel like my "list" is finished. I've come to the realistic realization, tho, that goals are ever changing. Completed items need to be adjusted to the next thing to get ahead and stay ahead. They are never going to be done, rather always changing to something new and the next challenge.

I know I will be using this for daily reminders to motivate myself to succeed so that every day, week, month and year is a building block to reach the many goals I have set and will continue to set for myself.

I find it interesting the different ways in which motivation manifests itself. For me personally it ranges from that rock song that pumps me up in the morning while drinking some hot coffee to having an event or trip planned and counting down the days and checking off my to do list so I can enjoy myself and feel that I deserve to have that fun time once it has arrived.

Some days I am able to motivate myself and other days it is nice to have support from others in my life to push me and motivate me when I cannot find it myself. Sometimes something as small as a motivational or relatable quote will ignite that spark that was needed to get going in the right direction. It is always insightful to me the ways that others motivate themselves also. Usually it gives a good insight into more ways I can motivate myself that I may have never even dreamed of before.

When you work hard and know how much you have to offer and do offer, all of the rest of the important aspects in life seem to follow, falling into their correct place like the pieces of the puzzle of life.

I love the quote that says happiness is accepting your life for what it is not what you think in your head it should be. Besides goals and the things you want to change in your life that you have control over, I think it is equally important to accept the things out of your control and make them into the best thing you possibly can. After all life really is too short and too many bad things happen in this world to lose sight of and not put your all into those things that make your own personal world go around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mirror Incident A.K.A. No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

A few years ago my parents decided to get rid of their old dresser with a big mirror attached to it. They were just going to take it to the dump but I had a better idea. I suggested that we post it on Facebook to see if anyone would be interested in it and could have it for free as long as they picked it up. Somebody was interested in the dresser but long story short my dad and I would be delivering it. As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished. We got the dresser loaded into the back of my dad's truck but because the mirror wouldn't come off (yet), it was not the sturdiest. I thought about sitting in the bed of the truck with it but we decided we would just drive realllly slow. The start of our long trek from the middle of town to the west end was going great until we got 4 blocks from home and turned onto Poly. As we took the turn the unthinkable happened. The mirror cracked off the dresser and shattered in the middle of Poly during 5 o' clock traffic! 😭 My dad

That Time I Blew Up My Mug⛾

I absolutely love mugs. Especially mugs with punny sayings on them. So that goes to say when I blew up my mug it was most definitely on accident . I am not a morning person...at all. I want to be so badly, but I'm not. 😴 A couple of months back as I was getting ready to leave in the morning I decided to try and heat up some water in the microwave instead of the Keurig. I chose a mug like I always do, filled it with water, stuck it in the microwave and pressed start. All of sudden I see flashes coming from the microwave window, so I panic press stop and my adrenaline has now woken me up with no doubt! I look and yep...I had put in a mug with a metal rim on the top. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ My cute, sparkly mug was now a burnt to a crisp, yet still slightly sparkly mug. See what happens when I'm too tired and before I drink my morning coffee?? 😂😂 Note to self: stick to the Keurig from now on, in the mornings at least!