Skip to main content

The Self-Honking Convertible Dilema

It was a nice spring day in May earlier this year. That particular day I was feeling very good about life and was in a very positive, uplifting mood. I even felt the need to post an Instagram picture about how good life was going. I decided to go to lunch at Subway (the usual) and stood in the usual long line that comes with this decision during the noon hour. I got my sandwich and went to sit in my car and eat with the rest of my lunch friends a.k.a. everyone else eating their lunch in their cars in parking lots.

I sat in my car and started eating when my red, sassy convertible honked without me touching the steering wheel, very loudly I might add. I looked to my left to see the kid in his car next to me giving me a weird look. I didn't think much of this somewhat embarrassing situation and decided to head back to work.

I start off down one of the busiest, fastest roads in town blasting some rock music. ALL OF A SUDDEN the honking starts again, but this time it is much more intense and mortifying. My cute little car's horn started blaring EXTREMELY loud and went nonstop for about a minute straight. Sounding like I slammed my hand down on my horn for everyone in my way to get the hell out of my way, I looked horrified and sheepishly to my left (again) as the car driving next to me at 45 MPH stopped dead in it's tracks thinking I was honking at them in some sort of state of emergency. As they sat in their lane wondering what in the world I was doing I threw my arms up in the air (although probably making the situation look more like a case of bad road rage) also wondering what could possibly going on.

I pulled off to the side of the road, restarted my car and luckily made it all the way to work with no more disruptions, thinking maybe just maybe it was some sort of weird fluke. I started making jokes about it to coworkers and friends thinking I was in the safe zone and it was actually kind of funny once I started to think about what had just played out.

The rest of the work day goes back to normal and I leave at the end of the day to go run to Target to get a few necessities and whatever else that store insists I need before I reach the checkout. As soon as I hit the parking  lot, which is only about a minute and a half away from work, my car does the unthinkable once again and even decides to outdo itself this time, starting with the horn blaring at the multiple people in the busy parking lot, turning into the panic alarm going off with absolutely nothing working to turn off the screeching and ending with my car completely dying in it's spot.

By now I've unfortunately lost my cool and the once funny story wasn't quite so funny anymore. After doing some back tracking I started to think it may be caused by an automatic starter I had very recently gotten installed. After a few minutes of rest my car roared back on and I cautiously made my way to the store that had installed my auto starter, thankfully with no honking along the way.

After the store's inspection they came to the conclusion that the auto starter was not the cause of the mysterious and very embarrassing honking. They mentioned they may have found the cause of the problem and fixed it but just in case, the next place I was to take my car was to the dealership to see if they could offer up any answers.

By now I was not wanting to even drive my car anywhere so my mom agreed to drive in front of me in case it would start honking, to save some random fellow drivers confusion about why I was honking at them. Between this and the fact that the workers had said that they may have found the cord causing the problem and fixed it, we took off from the parking lot. Within a matter of 5 seconds it started honking ONCE AGAIN. This time to make it even worse someone in the parking lot we were leaving echoed each honk by honking back. At this point I was not happy and beyond words.

We took off for the next store and fingers crossed the whole drive, made it without any interruptions. After a few hours of anticipation awaiting the news, it was exactly what I was hoping it would not be. The whole electrical system was shot and would need to be replaced.

Needless to say I now own a big truck and have yet to have these problems. LOL

In memory of my sassy little red convertible and the wind blowing through my hair:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mirror Incident A.K.A. No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

A few years ago my parents decided to get rid of their old dresser with a big mirror attached to it. They were just going to take it to the dump but I had a better idea. I suggested that we post it on Facebook to see if anyone would be interested in it and could have it for free as long as they picked it up. Somebody was interested in the dresser but long story short my dad and I would be delivering it. As the saying goes, no good deed goes unpunished. We got the dresser loaded into the back of my dad's truck but because the mirror wouldn't come off (yet), it was not the sturdiest. I thought about sitting in the bed of the truck with it but we decided we would just drive realllly slow. The start of our long trek from the middle of town to the west end was going great until we got 4 blocks from home and turned onto Poly. As we took the turn the unthinkable happened. The mirror cracked off the dresser and shattered in the middle of Poly during 5 o' clock traffic! 😭 My dad

That Time I Blew Up My Mug⛾

I absolutely love mugs. Especially mugs with punny sayings on them. So that goes to say when I blew up my mug it was most definitely on accident . I am not a morning person...at all. I want to be so badly, but I'm not. 😴 A couple of months back as I was getting ready to leave in the morning I decided to try and heat up some water in the microwave instead of the Keurig. I chose a mug like I always do, filled it with water, stuck it in the microwave and pressed start. All of sudden I see flashes coming from the microwave window, so I panic press stop and my adrenaline has now woken me up with no doubt! I look and yep...I had put in a mug with a metal rim on the top. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ My cute, sparkly mug was now a burnt to a crisp, yet still slightly sparkly mug. See what happens when I'm too tired and before I drink my morning coffee?? 😂😂 Note to self: stick to the Keurig from now on, in the mornings at least!

Hellooo 2018 (Ready or Not)

As 2018 approaches I don't recall ever being quite as optimistic and looking forward to 365 fresh pages to write my story on, as I do right now. (Plus, 8 is my favorite number so that has to be some sort of sign🤔) 2017 was an equally tough as well as amazing year. Here are a few of my favorite positive things last year brought: A lot of the first part of the year was spent turning life around and straightening out the stubborn curves that seemed to get set in their ways. I feel more on the path that I'm meant to be on than ever before. Great opportunities bloomed in my personal as well as professional relationships. Having an amazing, supportive boyfriend is such a blessing that I make sure not to take for granted every day. Knowing who my true friends are by who sticks around through the good and bad sides of life and who always go out of their way to put a smile on my face. As far as professionally, by joining volunteer groups I have greatly expanded my connections by ne